In year 2011 the Institute|High School of Research and Formation|Training Agricultural and Fishing (IRFAP) starts a new line of autochthonous races research with the objective of favoring the improvement of the autochthonous farming races of the Balearic Islands as well as the characterization and the normalization of the products that derive from it.
The projects of research integrated into this area have to allow:
- Generating zootècnica information of the Balearic autochthonous races.
- Favoring the conservation, the improvement and the promotion of the autochthonous farming races.
- Evaluating and characterizing the productive systems in which Balearic autochthonous races are exploited in order to adopt productive strategies that allow to give value and optimize the autochthonous races as well as its|his|her|their products.
- Promoting the use of the autochthonous farming races in productive systems that favor the sustainability and that watch over the suitable maintenance of a socioeconomic, cultural and environmental equilibrium (for example, extensive and semi-intensive systems of production, ecological stockbreeding, etc).
For the development of this area the collaboration of the Institute|High School of Animal Biology of Balears, S.A. (IBABSA), is indispensable in particular the Unit of Autochthonous Races, which is the person in charge|attendant of the elaboration and the development of the programs of conservation, improvement and promotion of the zoogenètic heritage|patrimony that they are carried out in the Balearic Islands.
Team|Equipment of research:
- Group of Autochthonous Races of the IRFAP:
- Antoni Martorell Nicolau, head|boss of the Service of Orientation, Transfer and IRFAP.
- Vanesa Castillo López, doctor in animal production and graduate in veterinary science. Investigator|Researcher.
- Department of Animal Production. Unit of Autochthonous Races IBABSA
- Àgueda Pons Barro, graduate in veterinary science. Technique of production. Head|Boss of the Unit of Autochthonous Races.
- Jaume Jaume Sureda, agricultural engineer. Technician of production of the Program of Conservation, Improvement and Promotion of the Majorcan Black Pig|Pork.
- Sebastià Joy Torrens, agricultural engineer. Technician of production and data management of the genealogical books, cores|kernels of control and characterization.
- Miquel Torrens Escalas, graduate in veterinary science. Technician of production of the Program of Conservation, Improvement and Promotion of the Balearic Ass and of the Small Balearic Ruminants, support to|on the archive|file and to the warehouse of autochthonous races.
- Roberto Vera Martínez, graduate in veterinary science. Technician of production. Direction of Products Certification. Support to|in the archive|file and to|in the warehouse of autochthonous races and to|in the programs of conservation, improvement and promotion.
- Toni Roca Comella, graduate in veterinary science. Technician of production. Responsible for the programs of conservation, improvement and promotion of the autochthonous races of Menorca (sheep from Menorca, hen from Menorca).
Technicians of the associations of breeders of the autochthonous races of Balears:
- Mercè Tobaruela Arbona (red sheep, Majorcan goat, Majorcan hen).
- Maria Antònia Espinosa Moreno (Majorcan sheep).
- Bartomeu Palou Aguiló (Majorcan sheep).
- Miquel Prieto Mulet (autochthonous races of Eivissa and Formentera).
- Biel Puigserver Gil de Sola (Majorcan bovine one).
- Juan Luís Crespí Monjo (Majorcan bovine one).
Webs of interis: